Search This Blog

VMware Tools Stuck in “Upgrade in progress” Fix

I notice the VMware Tools status on some VMs (mostly Linux) is “Upgrade in progress”.

vmware.tools.upgrade.in.progress.01

For these VMs, I cannot vMotion them to another host; and some of these VMs, the “Edit Settings” and “Edit Resource Settings” are grayed out.

Solution:

  • Find the ESXi host running the VM
  • Use vSphere C# Client to connect to the ESXi host directly; Do not connect to the vCenter Server.
  • Locate the VM in the vSphere C# Client
  • Right-click on the VM, Guest, End VMware Tools Install

vmware.tools.upgrade.in.progress.02

  • VMware Tools status changes back to running.

vmware.tools.upgrade.in.progress.03

Then I can vMotion the VM or run the VMware Tools installation again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Use WinSCP to Transfer Files in vCSA 6.7

This is a quick update on my previous post “ Use WinSCP to Transfer Files in vCSA 6.5 ”. When I try the same SFTP server setting in vCSA 6.7...